Wednesday, June 13, 2012

The Change in Perspective

Hello, my angel faces. So, today I want to talk about perspective. Before I can do that, I need to share something about myself. Perhaps you do this as well.

I often catch myself reminiscing about the past. I had a pretty solid childhood and, for the most part, a great school experience (up until college, ha ha). However, I don’t just idly relive moments from the past. I think to myself, “how could I have done this better, how could I have done that better? What if I had made this choice instead? What if I hadn’t been so scared? What if I had lived this day to the fullest in every sense of the word? What if I had said yes? What if I knew then what I knew now?”

I know this is silly. The past is the past, and there’s nothing I can do to change it. Wondering if I could have done something differently—or if I should have—does nothing to help what happened then or what happens now. When I was little, my mother had a coffee cup upon which was painted a very useful quote: “Worrying does not empty tomorrow of its troubles; it empties today of its strength.” It’s not that I’m worrying about the past, exactly; it’s just that I wonder about how different it could have been.

I have constructed huge, elaborate fantasies about how my past could have been. At least five nights out of the week, before I fall asleep, I close my eyes and enter these fantastic re-imagined versions of my life in which I am a hero, an inspiration, a savior, a role model, an incredible and admired person. In these alternate time lines, I never said no to something because I was scared. I made friends left and right because I wasn’t shy and awkward. I spent my time wisely and learned strange, awesome things and saved lives and made a difference.

Of course, eventually something snaps me back to the “real” world, and I look around, and I think, “well, none of that happened, did it?” I sigh and try to think of something else, but the allure of the worlds I have built is often too enticing to resist. As a result, there are entire histories floating around inside my head.

Recently, I made what seems to be a rather important realization.

Several years from now, I don’t want to be looking back upon this time in my life, re-imagining it. I don’t want to fall asleep fantasizing about what could have been. So what is the answer to this conundrum?

Well, it seems pretty simple to me: I must live life so that I do not ever catch myself wishing it were different. I must live life in such a way that, in the future, I think “I did exactly what I should have done and I am immensely pleased with it.”

Of course, by the time I actually get to the future, my perspective may have changed yet again. Maybe, the choice that seems best and most fulfilling now will seem poor later.

Well, I will just have to climb that beanstalk when I reach it.

Share your thoughts with me in the comment section. Talk to you soon.

3 comments:

  1. Living life to the fullest means something totally different to a 20 year old then it does to a 16, 30, or 70 year old. The events of our lives, the situations we find ourselves in, and the choices we make paint who we are tomorrow. The trick isn't to try and not look back but to not be consumed by it. I know so many adults who struggle with the present and don't look towards the future because of the the mistakes AND the glory of their pasts.

    As a single 20 year old you priority set is much different then say a married 30 something with a child. When you reach that point with your life partner who ever he or she may be, you can only hope to look back with pride and see the lessons both good and bad you learned on your journey.

    When you look back and see the childhood you had do you find anything you long for? Something you can achieve in the now? You were awkward and shy (Hard to believe with who you've become) but maybe the skills you acquired then, your ability to listen and council will help paint the future you want.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the words of encouragement, Jorian. =.)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Just hurry up and build utopia so I can buy a house with a green room.

    ReplyDelete